From D Magazine, by Will Maddox:
- The Texas Medical Board suspended Frisco anesthesiologist Dr. Michael Gallagher after a mother of four died in July at a med spa for which he was the medical director.
- She died after receiving an IV treatment administered by the non-licensed owner of the business.
- The med spa did not have protocols or policies for the staff’s IV therapy administration.
- There was only an unsigned agreement between Gallagher and the med spa.
- There were no licensed medical staff or experienced personnel onsite while IV therapy was being administered.
- The treatment the patient received before dying included vitamin B complex, vitamin B12, TPN electrolytes, and ascorbic acid. TPN electrolyte solution requires a prescription and is known to cause complications.
- IV therapy is a growing market, but complications can be deadly because it is often administered in medical spas with little medical supervision.