From Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP, by Shane Duer, Knicole Emanuel, Cara Ludwig:
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has issued an interim rule in response to the trend of states disenrolling recipients from the Medicaid program.
- The rule aims to limit the removal of recipients from the program for procedural reasons rather than eligibility considerations.
- States that fail to comply with the rule may face enforcement actions, including submitting a corrective action plan and paying civil money penalties.
- The rule also requires states to submit reports on their eligibility redetermination activities, which will be made public.
- The regulations became effective on December 6, 2023.